Endodontics: The Secret to Saving Smiles
One of the most important procedures a dentist can perform, root canal therapy helps save teeth that would otherwise have to be extracted while simultaneously preventing the spread of infection to nearby teeth. And contrary to popular belief, the procedure is far from uncomfortable, thanks to modern anesthetic options.
Some of the benefits of root canal therapy include:
- Saving a tooth that would otherwise have to be extracted.
- Preventing the spread of infection to nearby teeth.
- Maintaining the natural appearance of your smile.
- Avoiding the need for a tooth replacement, which can be both costly and time-consuming.
All that and it's a routine procedure that takes just two visits to complete!
How can I tell if I need a root canal?
There are a few signs that indicate you may need a root canal, including:
- Severe tooth pain that doesn't go away with over-the-counter medication.
- Sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures.
- Darkening of the tooth.
- Swollen or tender gums.
- A bump or pimple that forms on your gums.
If you're experiencing any of these symptoms, contact us right away to schedule an appointment. We’ll assess your tooth and determine if a root canal is necessary.
How should I care for my tooth after it's undergone this procedure?
Once the root canal is complete, your tooth will be more susceptible to breakage. As such, it's recommended that you protect it with a dental crown and continue to care for it by:
- Brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Flossing once a day.
- Eating soft foods and avoiding hard or sticky candy.
- Wearing a mouthguard if you play sports.
- Visiting your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings.
If you suspect you may need a root canal or have questions about the information above, call us at Craig H. Etts, DDS in Plantation today!
Contact Craig H. Etts, DDS, About Teeth Whitening Today
- Preserve your natural tooth
- Remove infection & prevent it from spreading to nearby teeth
- Experience a minimally invasive procedure that’s made comfortable with anesthetic
- Avoid the costs associated with tooth extraction & replacement
- Prioritize your oral health!